Tuesday 5 June 2012

How do I choose my Académie/Region for TAPIF?

I know a lot of you out there are thinking about applying for TAPIF or are currently putting together your application and are wondering "What académies/regions should I pick?"

What you need to remember is that you're not guaranteed to be placed in the biggest city in your region or even the region itself. Having said that, you can still improve your chances of getting what you want by choosing wisely and hoping everything falls in place!

For me, choosing my regions was the hardest part of the application, but never fear! Look below for five awesome tips that I'm sure will help you to make a decision!


TAPIF académies

1. Do I want to live in the city or the country?
If you want to improve your chances of being in or around the city choose regions that are smaller in size so that your chances of being far from the city are less likely. Regions like Strasbourg, Lille and Rouen are good bets. If being in the country or being in smaller villages is more your thing choose large regions like Orléans-Tours, Clermont-Ferrand and Poitiers which carry higher chances of being placed in smaller villages away from the big city in the region.

2. Do I want to travel?
If you love to travel like I do, choosing a region that is close to other countries you would like to visit and well-connected in terms of trains, buses and airplanes is important. Big cities within France such as Paris, Lyon, Nice, Marseille and Lille are good hubs from which you can travel abroad. Some regions are close to other countries, making it possible to take little trips on weekends without too much hassle.

For example:
  • Lille is only 80-90 minutes away from London, 60 minutes from Paris, Brugge and Brussels.
  • Strasbourg is only a little over 2 hours from Paris, 3 hours to Munich, Germany and Bern, Switzerland.
Overall, you should be pretty well connected no matter what region you live in, but if you would like to make the most of your time in France on weekends and not just on holidays, choose regions that are close to other cities you would like to visit!

3. What type of weather do I like?
Some people are summer lovers, others are winter lovers, so depending on your preference this should probably factor into your decision. If cold weather doesn't bother you choose regions in the North. If the sun is where you want to be, choose regions further South that have a mediterranean climate with more milder/warmer temperatures.

4. Money, money money!
As I'm sure you all know the teaching assistant salary is not going to make you Bill Gates, so choosing a region that's not heavy on the wallet will be a major consideration for a lot of you. If you're low on funds stay away from big cities like Paris and those in the South (Marseille, Nice, Montpellier) where living costs are high. Choose smaller, more quaint regions like Caen, Rouen and Rennes where living costs are more affordable. Overseas French territories like Guadeloupe, Réunion, Martinique and Guyane attract higher salaries which is something some of you might like to keep in mind.

5. How good is my French?
If a major priority for you is to improve your French then stay away from big cities where English is more widely spoken. Better language acquisition will happen in smaller cities and villages. By the same token, if your French is a little weak then stick to bigger cities where you will be less challenged and might be able to get away with less French.

I hope this guide helps you to decide where in France you want to live!

20 comments:

  1. Hey! Thanks for the tip, this post was helpful! I actually feel like I'll be referencing your blog quite a bit... haha. Congrats on your TAPIF acceptance and your upcoming move to Lille!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad that you found it helpful! Thanks for the congratulations! I'm really looking forward to seeing what the whole experience will be like! Let me know if you have any questions and keep in touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cora, I'm also coming to France this fall with TAPIF (I'm in Rouen academie) so just wanted to say hi! to a fellow assistant. :) Stumbled upon your blog via google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaylin, I know this was a long time ago but I just got accepted into the Rouen academie for TAPIF and would love to know how your experience was? I'm pretty nervous and scared!

      Delete
  4. Hey back, Kalyin! Congratulations on getting accepted to Rouen, that's really exciting! Nice to meet you and stay in touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I'm in the application process right now and this was so helpful! Do you know about the sizes of the academies of Nantes or Dijon, are they also larger? I really want to be in a city so putting a smaller academie first sounds like a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous! I'm pretty sure that the Nantes academy is much bigger population wise but I think the size of the academies are pretty equal. I guess in this instance you have to choose the city you think you'll like better! Good luck with the application! :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Cora. I appreciate your advice!
    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! Good luck!

      Delete
    2. One more question pour vous!

      So I'm debating between putting Lille or Lyon as my first choice (I know that Lyon is competitive). I know the Rhone area pretty well, but I've never visited the north. So what is your general feeling about the region - do you like it?

      Is the northern accent difficult to understand?

      Thank you!
      Johanna

      Delete
    3. The best thing about the Lille academie is that if you really want to travel, the location is great. It's really close to London, Paris and Belgium and not far from a lot of other countries in Europe too.I'm not sure what the weather is like in Lyon, but in the North it is definitely cold and rainy, so if you prefer better or warmer weather don't choose here. For the most part, I think that if you're placed in Lille itself it's awesome but if you're in a smaller town it is quite difficult to go out etc. Partying is awesome in Lille because it's got a big student population and pretty cheap too but the trains stop pretty early so if you want to have a night out you pretty much have to stay out and get the first train back(which is about 6am). If that's something that's important to you then it might be something to think about.. but then that could be the case in most other academies too, I'm not sure.

      In my experience, the people here have been so nice and welcoming and I think if you want to improve your French it's a great academie because there are a lot of people who can't speak English, where in other academies I know that's not the case. Especially in more touristy/popular academies.

      If there's anything specifically you want to know about Lille then feel free to ask! :)

      Delete
    4. Thank you, Cora!
      I'm from the Pacific Northwest, so I'm not too worried about weather. I'd definitely want to live in the city of Lille though; is it easy to commute to the schools from there?

      I'm not planning to do much traveling as I want to spend most of my time in France; so if I don't take advantage of the location, do you think it still has other redeeming qualities? I've heard the north is quite different from the rest of France, but the city of Lille looks beautiful.

      The main reason I was thinking of putting Lille first is because it is a smaller academie, like you said, and thus I'd have a greater chance of being placed near the city than in, say, the academie of Bordeaux.

      Do you think I have the right reasons in mind?

      I really appreciate your help! Hope you're enjoying the new year :)
      Johanna

      Delete
    5. I think in most cases it's possible to commute to Lille, especially if you're determined to live there. My school is an hour and half away, so I decided to live in a town a little closer, but the other assistant does the commute. It just means he wakes up really early and the work schedule he has makes it possible for him to do that. It's also a lot more expensive this way too, both with transport and rent.

      I'm trying to think what I would do if I had to choose over again and I'm not sure. Most people that live here wonder why I chose this academie, saying that this region is ugly in comparison to others. I guess if you're after the opinions of teachers that have had to move here than it's not favourable haha. But, there's something to the North too. You feel like you're part of a little community, with the inside jokes, accent and food. I also feel like for the most part people have been nice and helpful and I'm not sure if that would be the case everywhere or it's just a small town thing.

      What's your main ojective in coming to France?

      Delete
    6. Thanks for the feedback. My objectives in coming back to France pretty much center around the fact that I'm a huge francophile. I studied abroad in Grenoble last semester and fell in love. I wanted to come back to try to improve my French as well as spend more time there.

      I loved Grenoble, but I really don't want to be stuck in a tiny village with no student population - that's why I thought Lille would be a good idea. Plus I had a friend who visited Lille and loved it.

      I've heard people complain about the North, but when I look at pictures I don't get it, because it looks so cute! Also, a lot of French people didn't have great things to say about Grenoble while I found it beautiful.

      Delete
    7. Lille definitely has a big student population, so no worries about that! :)
      It's true that what one person might like another might hate, it really is subjective. I think the French have a habit of being quite negative and critical when it comes to France.

      I think Lille is a nice city and one of the biggest ones in France, so if you live there I don't think you'd regret it! :)


      Delete
    8. Thank you so much for all of the feedback!
      My application has been submitted, so on verra!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for your great advice :) I'm applying for next year (fingers crossed!) and this was super helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that you found it useful! Good luck with the application!

      Delete
    2. I made it! Yay! And I've been placed in Lille! :)

      Delete
    3. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! :)

      Delete

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...