Sunday 14 October 2012

The time I went to McDonald's in Paris

After a long 24 hour flight from Australia to Paris and having been awake for 36 hours straight, all I wanted was a shower and sleep. As it was only 3pm Paris time, I had a shower, settled in and chanted the words "I can't believe I'm in Paris!" over and over until I got hungry. So, what other solution was there but to go to the most culinarily refined restaurant one could find in France... where else but McDonald's?

In my sleepy state, I wandered into a McDonald's that was a few minutes walk from my hostel and looked at the menu. Moving from the Big Mac, to BEER (what?!), I finally saw what I wanted...


... And then my delirious mind started freaking out:
How do I say "McChicken?" Do I say it in my English accent or do I say it in a French accent and feel like a total idiot when it's an English word and I can say it perfectly fine with my English accent? DILEMMA! 
I eventually decided that I should say it the "French way" and failed horribly because I had no idea how to say it in the French accent. After giving me a quick strange look, the cashier was nice enough not to laugh in my face and continued to take my order as if nothing had happened.

Not only had I failed to order properly, but as I went to leave, I encountered a 'pseudo step.' You know those steps that are so tiny you don't really see them, but they're big enough so if you don't see them you'll trip. Guess what I did?

I tripped and fell flat on my face in the middle of McDonald's. I got up as quickly as I could, looked around to see if anyone had seen me and got out of there as quickly as humanly possible.

What a great first introduction to France!

Have any of you had a similar experience? Let me know in the comments below!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Cora !
    I just found your blog on Expat Blog, and, as another Aussie girl in France, am looking forward to reading more ! Good luck with everything !
    Jayde

    PS. I've never fallen over in McDo, but I did take a spill on the TGV ! It's just too fast !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! It's nice to come across another Aussie in France! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one taking embarrassing spills in public spaces, but the TGV is understandable! On a side note I hate calling McDonalds "McDo"... Maccas is so much better! I look forward to checking your blog out! :) Cora

      Delete
  2. Wow Mickey D's as first thing you in France that's well "adventurous" ... ^^

    ReplyDelete

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...